Approx. Reading time: About 4 Minutes
A Guide to Moonwater
Moonwater is a sacred element that can be used for various purposes, such as cleansing, healing, protection, and manifestation. It is water that has been charged with the energy of the moon during its different phases. In this series, we will share with you some of the ways that our coven conducts moon water rituals and how you can do them too. Whether you want to make moon water for yourself or for your fellow witches, these rituals will help you connect with the lunar power and enhance your magick.
In this article – An Active Approach
Before beginning any ritual, it is important to prepare yourself mentally and physically. You may want to take a cleansing bath, or shower, and meditate or perform some grounding exercises to center yourself. Gather any materials you will need, such as candles, incense, and offerings for the forest spirits.
You can read a more detailed Ritual Preparation guide here.
To make water blessed by the moon, there are several methods you can use.
Here are some methods that we will cover in this series:
- Simple Outdoor – Place a bowl of water outside on the night of the full moon. Allow the water to absorb the energy of the moon’s rays for several hours, ideally from sunset to sunrise. You can cover the bowl with a lid or a cloth to keep it clean.
- Windowsill – If you cannot leave the water outside, you can place it on a windowsill where it will be exposed to the moonlight. Again, allow the water to absorb the moon’s energy for several hours.
- The Active Approach (This Article) – If you prefer a more active approach, you can hold a container of water in your hands and gaze up at the full moon as you recite a chant or affirmation to focus your intention. Visualize the light of the moon shining down into the water, filling it with energy and power.
- The Crystal Method (Coming Soon) – Another method is to charge a crystal or a piece of jewelry with the energy of the full moon, and then place it in a container of water. The crystal or jewelry acts as a conduit for the moon’s energy, which is then transferred to the water.
- You can also use a combination of the above methods. For example, you can place a bowl of water outside with a charged crystal inside and allow it to absorb the moon’s energy for several hours.
Moon Water: An Active Approach
- 1 Water Container Glass or Ceramic Preferred
- Water From a Stream or other Natural Source
- To begin, find a clean and clear container that is suitable for holding water. A glass or ceramic container is ideal as it is non-toxic and does not contain any chemicals that could leach into the water. Fill the container with fresh water, ideally from a natural source such as a stream or a well.
- Find a quiet and peaceful place where you can be alone with your thoughts and the moon. Go outside, if possible, and stand in a spot where you have a clear view of the full moon. Hold the container of water in your hands and gaze up at the moon. Visualize the light of the moon shining down into the water, filling it with energy and power.
- As you hold the container, recite a chant or affirmation to focus your intention. You can use a pre-written chant, or you can create your own. The important thing is to make it personal and meaningful to you. Some examples of affirmations or chants you can use include:– "Moon of power, fill this water with your energy and light. May it be blessed and purified for my highest good."– "By the light of the moon, this water is blessed and cleansed. May it bring healing and clarity to my mind, body, and spirit."– "Moon above, water below, bless this water with your sacred glow. May it be a tool for transformation and growth."
- As you recite your chant or affirmation, focus on your intention for the water. Whether you want to use it for healing, cleansing, or purification, be clear and specific about your goals. Imagine the water being charged with the energy of the moon and becoming a powerful tool for your spiritual practice.
- After you have held the container for several minutes and recited your chant or affirmation, place the container in a safe place where it can be exposed to the moon's energy for several hours. If you are not able to leave it outside, you can place it on a windowsill where it will receive direct moonlight.
- When the water has been blessed with the energy of the moon, bring it inside and use it in your rituals and ceremonies. You can drink it, use it to anoint yourself or your tools, or incorporate it into a spell or ritual. Remember to always be respectful and mindful of the water, and to give thanks to the moon for its blessings.
© The Equinox Apothecary 2024 – Permission is granted to copy and reproduce this Recipe with attribution
In conclusion, blessing water with the energy of the moon is a simple and powerful practice that can bring a boost to your spiritual practice. If you prefer a more active approach, holding a container of water in your hands and gazing up at the moon and reciting your affirmations is a simple yet effective way to harness the moon’s energy. Whether you use this method or the traditional method of placing a bowl of water outside on the night of the full moon, the key is to set your intention and be open to the energy of the moon.